Ports Energy and Carbon Savings (PECS) is an Interreg 2 Seas project under the programme priority “Low carbon technologies”.
PECS aims to develop, test and implement different tools and technologies in order to reduce the carbon footprint of the Small and Medium sized Entrepreneurial (SME) ports and marinas, and to make their functioning more energy-efficient in a cost-effective way. The cooperation between port authorities, the industry and local stakeholders might be one of the ways to reach these targets.
Moreover, innovation will be stimulated in close cooperation between the knowledge institutions, the industry and the concerned ports, in order to select and implement low carbon technologies, which are more adapted to the needs of SME ports and marinas.
Lead by the Port of Oostende, knowledge institutions, port authorities, industry and public authorities are working together within the framework of the cross- border Interreg 2 Seas program in order to test and implement different technologies and methods in the field of renewable energy production, energy recuperation and energy storage on land and in the water.
PECS is run by a consortium of 10 partners from 4 European countries: Port of Oostende (BE), City of Hellevoetsluis (NL), Port of Portsmouth (UK), Omgevingsdienst Ijmond (NL), IndaChlor (FR), Blue Power Synergy (BE), CEREMA (FR), Solent University Southampton (UK), Hogeschool Zeeland (NL), University of Ghent (BE).
The project is cofinanced by the European Fund for Regional Development (ERFD) under grant agreement No 2S03-009. Also the Dutch Province of North-Holland and the Belgian Province of West Flanders are offering financial support. It runs from 12/07/2017 till 31/08/2020.
For Indaver closing the loop with a high degree of quality is key. Waste is only one phase in a material's life cycle. It constitutes a source of new raw materials and renewable energy.
With this in mind we constantly research innovative methods for extracting even more energy and materials from waste. IndaChlor is a prime example of this approach. With the construction of this new treatment centre in the Port of Dunkirk with a 40,000 ton capacity Indaver will recycle production waste and chlorinated waste streams in order to recover chlorine in the form of hydrochloric acid. In the interests of industrial synergy, Indaver will build this plant near businesses that can use the hydrochloric acid resulting from the treatment of waste.
The energy produced during IndaChlor's treatment process will be recycled. All the steam from the recycling process will be directed to a steam turbine. One part (20 %) will be valorised into electricity, minimum 1.000 KW, which will cover consumption of the plant when disconnected from the grid. The remainder (80 %) of the energy in the steam is sold as heat to an existing neighbouring company at their appropriate steam conditions via a pipeline. This means that the company can stop using natural gas, because an alternative is delivered directly. The steam turbine will be capable to convert the full steam flow into electricity in case no steam is consumed by the neighbouring company.
This is an example of a safe and profitable circular economy. IndaChlor will thus reinforce the local industry of the Hauts-de-France region.
Share this page